Friday, February 12, 2010

Free Speech, Marvel Comics, Captain America and the Tea Party

I'm impressed by the intolerance of the Tea Party to allow free speech.

And I'm ashamed of Marvel Comics.

Marvel apologized to the Tea Party for a Captain America panel--because the Tea Party thought Marvel was making fun of them.

They were.

And it's OK to make fun of people you do not always agree with. Political cartoons are one example. Satire is another. The Tea Party is against so much of what we need to keep our nation strong, it's hard for me to understand everything about them. So I--a strong supporter of Obama--and not at all a supporter of Reagan--who I feel began sliding us into the mess we are in today (remember he abolished deductions of interest from credit cards, ignored the AIDs problem when we needed as a nation to be proactive, etc., etc., etc.)

I will let the Tea Party have their say. I will allow them the freedom of speech and the freedom of press. I will allow them to disagree with me--as I hope they are able to allow me to disagree with them.

And as for you, Marvel Comics, if Captain America has a problem with the Tea Party, so be it. Why apologize? Do we not have the freedom of the written word?

Afterall, George Bush is no longer in office. Under Obama are rights have been given back to us.

And I for one think it's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment