Saturday, March 20, 2010

Accomplishments? Yes or No?

Why we continue to support President Obama: click here for 100 reasons.

For ten more reasons--and this list includes domestic issues--click here.

Full disclosure: I disagree with the President on his education policies--though they appear to be better than the previous administrations--due to my contact with charter schools and the strange rules and funding programs of what is still called No Child Left Behind (which really means a teacher who graduated from college can be left behind). I worked too long in the public school sector and watched as we dumbed down our children and took away the thrill of learning--something that is natural in every child--because we were forced as teachers and school administratoprs to make choices counter to what we cognitively and emotionally knew were not correct--these changes forced on us by noneducators (many of whom never even stepped in a real classroom). Just so you know, I was an inner city classroom teacher for over thirty some years. I never taught to the test and my students scored well on standardized tests--given that I taught them all subjects--including music--and more than once had intermediate and upper grade students working out of a trigonometry book.

I'm also a staunch supporter of peace and I strongly believe we no longer have a reason to be in Afganistan.

As for the health issue, I am strongly for this only because I see the devastation poor (or no) health insurance causes--and we are not the healthiest nation any longer because of our actions to constantly fight against universal healthcare.

Pick any topic (from my full disclosure list or from the two lists above) and let's let the debates begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment